The forestry town on the banks of one of the largest lagoons on the South African coast
Featherbed Nature Reserve
- Eco-tours of the Western Head - four-hour excursions include a boat ride, a land-train journey to the top of the headland, a guided 2.2 km walk, a buffet lunch (on selected tours), and return boat trip.
Whale and dolphin watching
- Ocean Odyssey - boat-based whale-watching and dolphin-watching tours through The Heads; also SUP (stand-up paddle board) hire. www.oceanodyssey.co.za
Lagoon boat cruises
Departing from the Featherbed Ferry Terminal at Cruise Cafe on Remembrance Drive
- John Benn - Knysna's original wooden restaurant cruiser
- Paddle Cruiser - lunch-time and dinner cruises on South Africa's only working paddle boat
- Three Legs Rivercat Experiences - 75-minute cruises on the Knysna Lagoon
Yacht trips through The Heads
- Springtide Sailing Charters offers 90 minute to 4 1/2 hour sailing charters on the 52' luxury yacht Outeniqua
- Heads Explorer - the Featherbed Company's 90 minute to 2 1/2 hour sailing charters on the Lagoon and through The Heads
Knysna Forest walks & hiking tours
- Tony Cook Adventures. Besides forest walks, Tony also offers canoeing, cycling, guided trail running tours, kiting & surfing trips, etc.
- Secret Elephant Experiences - explore the Knysna Forest with conservationist and author Gareth Patterson (The Secret Elephants: The Rediscovery of the World's Most Southerly Elephants - Penguin Random House South Africa, 2009). For bookings and information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pezula Championship Golf Course: 18 holes, par 72. Length: championship 6,281 m; seniors 6,198 m; ladies 6,218 m and 5,027 m. Magnificent cliff-top links course on Knysna's Eastern Head designed by Ron Fream .
- Simola Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course: 18 holes, par 72. Length: championship 6,033 m; seniors: 5,189 m, pro Ts 6,318 m; ladies 4,595 m. Parklands course designed by The Golden Bear himself.
- Knysna Golf Club: 18 holes, par 73. Length: championship 5,924 m, club 5,924 m. Is this the only course in South Africa with holes situated below sea level?
- Sedgefield Links: 9 hole short course.
- Knysna Fine Art may be one of the finest galleries of its kind in the country. It specialises in contemporary South African art, handles works by the South African masters, and exhibits a number of internationally recognised fine artists. Open Monday to Saturday during normal business hours, and at other times by appointment.
- Knysna Art Gallery - the Knysna Arts Society's exhibition space at the Knysna Museum's Old Gaol. Revolving exhibitions - watch the press for details.
- The Knysna Museum occupies the Old Gaol and the Milwood House (and its annexes) in Queen Street - exhibitions of local history, the maritime history of the Knysna Harbour, and the history of the forests and the timber industry in the town. There's also a coffee shop with excellent bakes and other treats.
- The Motorcycle Room - this private collection of bikes focuses on the most popular rides of the 70s and 80s, although it does include some incredible adrenaline machines, and other historical bikes
- The NSRI Museum - a tiny but moving museum built around the drydocked rescue craft, Alex Blaikie.
- Please visit knysnamuseums.co.za for information about other private collections, and for stories about the people of this fascinating town, its forests, and its lagoon.
- Knysna's heritage guides - all freelance, registered tourist guides - will take you on amazing journeys through the fascinating history and cultures of the town.
Knysna Tourism: www.visitknysna.co.za - telephone +27 (0)44 382 5510